Spread the painful truth ->
Here’s how to cut through the insanity and decide who to listen to (and who you really should ignore). Even some of the “good guys” are wasting your time while cashing in. It’s a sad fact. You can decide if you think I’m wasting your time as well – I hope not, but I’m about to give you some pretty stiff standards to use to measure ANYONE in this industry.
Some (note: many or most) of the really popular internet business experts out there have amazing personalities, and know how to get your wallet open, keep your attention and sell you stuff…but they lack one important thing: RESULTS.
It’s a stubborn fact that they don’t want you to know. With that in mind…
Here’s how to pick an expert online business teacher (hold me to the SAME standard please!):
- Do they actively allow and encourage their customers to interact with each other? I can name only a handful of online experts that do this. It’s a big career risk that few of us are willing to take. Most “experts” keep their customers away from each other (unless they all gather at a big “Rah-Rah” rally where the message is tightly controlled). FACT: I have two very active forums with thousands of members saying ANYTHING THEY WANT TO SAY about my products, my training, and me. My blog comments are further evidence of this.
- Does your “online business expert” supply you a steady stream of RESULTS BASED success stories? I personally don’t care how much someone “likes” their expert or how “helpful”, “kind”, “patient”, or “thorough” they are. I could have THOUSANDS more testimonials if those counted. There’s only ONE way to measure how good the expert is. How many people are putting dollars in the bank because of what they are being taught? Make your expert prove it. After they PROVE IT then start paying attention to what they are trying to teach. You want a coach that gets results, not one that makes you feel warm and fuzzy just for being in the room. Don’t be a sucker. Learn to read testimonials with a VERY critical eye. If an expert sold their last business program to 2,500 people (that’s a SMALL launch) a few months ago and now they only have 4 or 5 quality RESULTS BASED testimonials what does that tell you? USE YOUR BRAIN! (I don’t do big launches and yet I have hundreds of testimonials on this blog, on offlinebiz.com, and on mysilentteam.com. I have more links I could give you as well, but you could spend HOURS reviewing just the pages I’ve just given you. Often we have to imply results because of FTC rules, but you can see that it’s no accident that I’m the most trusted marketer online by reading through these stories.)
- Are they doing this stuff or just teaching it? Trust me, most of them are just selling it…not doing it. The rare few that are “doing it” often have such a tightly run business with so many working parts and advantages that it’s nearly impossible to duplicate their results. (I only teach what I’m doing or have done successfully. It’s how I’ve built my reputation.)
- Are they consistently promoting big launches? If so, you should know that 90% of these launches are totally useless from a results standpoint. Demand to see the success stories from the LAST BIG LAUNCH before you open your wallet. (You’ve seen my take on “big launches”. It’s actually quite a popular blog post if you are interested in reading it. “How to be a rich Internet Guru in 4 simple steps“)
- Have you been duped by a sense of accomplishment? This last one is only for really smart people. Put on your thinking cap and be honest. Is your expert’s step-by-step system aimed at GETTING RESULTS, or just at avoiding refunds? It’s human nature that we feel good and enjoy a sense of accomplishment when we complete a series of steps…but how much money is going into YOUR bank account as a result of your effort? The ONLY measure of success after applying business training is one simple word… PROFIT. If you lack self esteem or need a new sense of accomplishment or need some lessons in reality then please leave your wallet at home and set about helping people less fortunate than you…don’t spin your wheels and spend your money following a step-by-step business system that builds nice looking websites while getting REAL results for only 3 out of 1,000 people.
Sometimes truth looks and feels like a rant, but I value you enough to give it to you straight. If this article turns you off from working with me then it has done its job – saving us both the heartache of a clash of worldviews that would have come eventually and wasted time for both of us. Please go buy the next big launch you see hit your inbox and write me when you’ve made your millions so you can tell me that I’m the real fool here. I look forward to it.
In the land of reality however…
I’m hearing RESULTS BASED success stories almost daily from readers of my books and blog and members of the two membership sites I run at MySilentTeam.com and OfflineBiz.com. That is without me even asking for it – they just pop in constantly. It’s not my brilliance that is doing it either…it’s the amazing teams we’ve built and the helpful community associated with anything I do online.
Sure, I run my sites with a profit seeking motive, but I’m learning just as much as I’m teaching. In my heart I know I’m here to teach other parents how to be able to earn money from home doing what they love so that they can be parents first and not J-O-B slaves. That’s my big “why”.
Your action step:
I’ve decided to make a focused effort to get even more success stories posted where they can inspire and motivate my casual readers to jump in and take purposeful action.
I need your help.
Are you succeeding in any way with my “stuff”?
If my blog, membership sites, books, coaching etc. have helped you and you have a RESULTS based success story to share with me I’d love to personally talk to you about it AND I’ll help coach you to the next level LIVE ON THE PHONE! Drop me a note in the blog comments (link at the top of this page) and I’ll contact you at the email address or phone number you leave me. Don’t worry – I won’t publish your personal info – it will just be between us until we have something you are willing to share publicly.
If you have feedback about this blog post please leave it as a comment, but I must warn you…I’m not in the mood for B.S. today.
I have the urge to share my official FTC disclaimer today as well as a nice way of wrapping this one up…
Your comments and feedback appreciated as always.