Are you growing an audience online, or are you trying to?
If so, this article is for you.
Would you like a brilliant customer base as your audience, or an irrational & ignorant mob?
An “irrational & ignorant” mob audience will…
- buy from you once and then lose interest
- threaten you and make demands
- love you one day and hate you the next
- have serious “shiny object” syndrome
- expect immediate results and benefits for as little work as possible
- treat you like they treat their lottery tickets
- smile to your face and stab you in the back
A brilliant customer base will…
- challenge you
- keep you honest
- suggest improvements
- point out flaws
- produce fantastic partnerships
- build a legacy
- produce leaders who produce more leaders
- genuinely love you for leading
- send you amazing success stories and testimonials
It’s a true pleasure to gather these customers into one area together and watch them build each other up and crank out new ideas. This is how the Internet is supposed to work, and this is what I’m building every day.
How do you grow the sort of audience you want?
It’s not easy, but in my opinion it comes down to a few basic concepts.
- Treat every customer as if they are a good friend or partner (they soon will be anyway).
- Be irrationally generous (even to the ignorant).
- Fire and send away any “irrational” customers with a kind, yet firm pat on the back.
- Only produce fantastic content, products and services. If you don’t do this, you DESERVE what you get!
- Expect your customers to act rational, or don’t sell to them. Refund them and fire them if necessary.
- As top customers become your top advocates, reward them for helping spread your message. Partner with them in unique ways. Let them help drive the ship.
Did I leave anything out? What thoughts do you have on this topic?