One of the most overlooked “secrets” of my success over the last 10 years online has been my relentless pursuit of good partnerships.
I’m not talking about the “call a lawyer and write up a contract” type of partnership. I’m talking about the kinds of partnerships that can be established for virtually no risk and with potentially huge rewards by all involved.
Partnerships which are established with simple, yet mutually beneficial terms are the fast track to success. Creative partnerships have been vital in growing my business.
Here are some real examples of how simple partnerships have made my business easily 10 times bigger than it would be otherwise:
- We turn our most creative and successful students into teachers and coaches. We pay them well, give them incentives to represent us well, and turn them lose to represent my company and me. We also learn from their experiences and insights every day. Most of my best partners started out by reading one of my books and then taking baby steps to establish something powerful online. When they contact me with their story, we talk about taking it all to the “next level” by teaching others how to do what they just did.
- When I lack a skill that my business requires it’s rare that I’ll go buy a book or take a course on the subject. Instead, I find a way to partner with a true pro in a mutually beneficial arrangement. It’s easier than ever to find “true pros” online.
- OfflineBiz.com is a partnership. The agreement between the co-founder Andrew and I is as simple as a single short email sent several years ago. Our well established online reputations were the handshake and it’s been smooth sailing since then. We’ve never spoken in person or even on the phone, yet the site continues to thrive with well over 11,000 members.
- When I have a product to promote I can easily send an email to my list of partners and give them an incentive to help spread the word. This is accomplished through automatice tracking using an affiliate program like clickbank.com or nanacast.com etc.
- We are starting a webinar series based on one of our more popular courses over the last 2 years. I won’t be teaching it, but two of my most successful students who both started with that very course will be teaching others how they did it.
Some vital ingredients that allow me to set up so many powerful partnerships:
- The stuff I teach works
- I’m always looking for three way wins
- I protect my reputation so I’m easy to partner with
Fans and followers are nice, but they are also fickle. You need a system for turning the hardest working and most successful followers you have into partners.