I talk to Internet entrepreneurs (i-treps) all the time. That’s who reads my stuff and buys my courses.
Many of them are VERY successful, and many are VERY confused…and most are a unique combination of BOTH
…and it’s no wonder there are so many would be biz builders who are floundering and nervous while they swim upstream.
The fact is, it’s a crazy arena in which we’ve chosen to pitch our tent and most of the risks are unique to the times we live in and the career path we’ve chosen.
Clearly, building an online business is not for the faint of heart. The rules are a little different here, and it’s not quite as simple to protect yourself here as it is in the “real world” where an insurance policy covers most risks.
Here are just some of the “scary facts” that i-treps like us face without a safety net (in other words, try buying an insurance policy to cover any of these very real threats):
- The ever present possibility of our account going “poof” in the night with eBay, Amazon, Facebook, YouTube or even Google and other sites we rely on. While the risk is seemingly small, we’ve all heard the stories. It does happen.
- Competitors or even one upset customer can go on a rant spree and spread any false info they want to – unchecked and without recourse in many cases.
- We are at the mercy of our web host to always to keep our sites up and running. An expired credit card or a bounced email can create headaches that last days.
- There are ever shifting legal policies, tax issues and terms of service shifts on the sites we rely on to help run our business.
- There are countless distracting voices calling out to us claiming to have the tool, strategy or new idea that will take us “to the next level”. It’s called shiny object chasing and we all must face it daily. One misstep can put us way off course.
- The field of opportunity seems to always be shifting in new directions, especially for the “casual” or unfocused online business builder.
Should we feel sorry for ourselves? Should we just go get one of those “real jobs” like so many are tempted to do? Should we abandone the acres of diamonds that we KNOW are right under our nose and seek safer shelter? Are we just stuck going to bed nervous every night about the fact that the fate of our business very well could all be in the hands of a grumpy, pimply 21 year old new hire at Amazon.com?
I say NO!
Why am I so confident we can do this?
Here’s why – as i-treps…
- We make our OWN insurance by building multiple income streams.
- We are pioneers who can show a curious world how it should be done (and they will pay us well to show them).
- We are marketers who rely on and constantly build CREATIVITY, LEADERSHIP and RELATIONSHIPS and not even google, ebay or amazon can take any of that away from us.
- We aren’t afraid to change directions on a moments notice when we discover a better way. We don’t fear change…change is the horse we ride into battle.
- We understand that the INFORMATION AGE is fueled by CONTENT and we intend to be the suppliers of that rich resource.
- We’ll take FREEDOM & a bit of UNCERTAINTY over MEDIOCRITY and “job security” any day!
Who is with me?